Jump Master (JM)
The Jump Master (JM) Instructor rating is new in 2005. It replaces the former Instructor A rating for dispatching skydiving students.
The privileges of this rating are to:
- students using the Instructor Assisted Deployment (IAD) or Static Line (SL) method
- freefall students
- student parachutists from Pre-level to Stage 4 of the Basic Skills Grid in the GFF program
- the SSI in teaching the FJC under direct supervision
- Sign off practical requirements for the Solo Certificate
The prerequisites for the training course are:
- Coach 1 trained (Note: must be C1 certified prior to receiving the JM Portfolio)
- CSPA "B" CoP
- 125 jumps
- observe role of JM on two different loads
- Pre-course homework
The course is normally held over a full three day period. Typically starting on a Friday and completing at the end of the weekend.
The course is divided into the following modules:
- Administration - overview, BSR exam, written quiz, interviews
- Rules & Recommendations - BSR and Technical Recommendations pertaining to students
- Instructor Techniques - Coach 1 review, skill analysis
- Student Supervision - IAD and FF students - preparation to debrief
- Progression - FJC, gradual, endorsements
- Unusual Situations - topics that a JM must be alert to, developing safety routines
Evaluations on this course are:
- Dispatching - evaluations of candidate dispatching FF and IAD students
- Skill Analysis - perform freefall and canopy control analysis
- Teaching Tasks - teach a freefall and canopy control task, debrief task
- Written - BSR exam, knowledge quiz
- Safety Checks - 100% compliance
Prior to dispatching without supervision, dispatch 6 students by IAD/SL methods under the direct supervision of a Senior JM.
Within one year of the JM course:
- Supervise and dispatch 25 students by the IAD or SL methods
- Complete JM portfolio requirements
Makeups must be completed satisfactorily prior to dispatching of "real" students.
To achieve certified status, submit to CSPA within 1 year, the following documents:
- a completed JM portfolio with SSE signoff
The JM (Restricted) rating does not allow for the JM to dispatch IAD/SL students. All other privileges of the JM are retained.
- What documents do I need for the course?
- CSPA Affiliation card showing C1 certification
- Jump Master Reference Manual
- Latest versions of PIM 1 and PIM 2A which can be downloaded here.
- Reserve Packing Card for your personal equipment.